Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Buying In and Selling Out (2014 LMA Annual Conference)


#Day2

Derek Maine

This was my first Annual Conference. I have been a Legal Marketer since July, 2013. While I’ve worked at law firms for my entire career, up until July, 2013 I only wistfully looked at the marketing department in the firms I worked at. In other words, I don’t even know what I don’t know. It’s my single biggest strength and my single biggest weakness. I look at everything through fresh eyes. I am also missing, or just learning, concepts and tools that have been obvious to most for many years. But I do have a hunch that the theme of attorneys “buying in” is not new this year. Attorneys understand the importance of marketing, probably more so in this climate than ever. And it is short-sighted to assume that attorneys have no innate marketing skills. After all, plenty of attorneys are able to pay their light bill without a marketing department. So why does the issue of attorneys “buying in” keep getting uttered in panel discussions, the exhibit hall and during coffee breaks?

I think the question of “buying in” isn’t about attorneys believing or not believing in the power of marketing. It’s the issue of someone telling them what works best. And that someone is often not an attorney themselves. It’s difficult for any intelligent, driven individual to hand over the stewardship of their work ex fide fiducia. Actually, here we go: no one likes to be told what they have done that has worked before does not work anymore. We don’t like to change, we don’t like to be told we have to do something. And we want to exert control over our work. Attorneys have no trouble buying into the principles, but they may be hesitant to buy into specific tools and techniques that marketers are advocating. So the very first thing I do when I receive push-back on any project or initiative is reflect. What is my logic and is it sound? I build my case to myself and, if that case holds up, I sell it. I look at the partners in my own firm as the very best sounding board and critics. If there is a lack of “buy in,” and it’s not rooted in clear realpolitik, the problem is most likely not with attorneys refusing to buy in. The problem is me and what I’m selling.

I attended this year’s conference with the Marketing Partner at our firm. I wanted her to be inundated, as I would be, with the strategies, tools and techniques. How would we view the themes and concepts differently? Would we hear the same message? Early on in day one, my colleague lamented that many panel discussions were critical of attorneys and focused on some negative generalizations that deal with professionals hesitancy to adopt change. I didn’t hear that. She was clear, “I already know this about attorneys, I want to know what to do about it.” I always defer to bumper stickers for the important lessons in life. So, be the change, I say. Because, truthfully, there isn’t always something you can do about it. Some people, across all facets of work and life, do not want to put in the frustratingly slow and hard work necessary to reap the rewards. So spend more time and resources with those attorneys that do.

The first panel discussion for me on day two was “Trends in Media/PR for Law Firms in Terms of What’s Valuable and Effective Today.” Again, a quote from the program landed me in the chair. “…but now even online media can be a fool’s game.” Tell me more.

Paul Webb, Director of Marketing at Young Conaway Stargatt & Taylor LLP was the single best panel speaker I saw at the conference. He had a tremendously interesting story on how his firm used an office move to build up an entire PR campaign in a very creative fashion. And then we started talking about rankings. What started as a whisper of annoying surveys to fill out, in-office politicking and affirmed total lack of client interest in how or why an attorney is ranked soon became a roar. Everyone hates having to do this. It serves no purpose. Everyone does it anyway. I heard this over and over throughout the conference and now we were going to discuss it out in the open. Paul Webb asked if anyone in the room knew of a client that hired an attorney based on a ranking. Someone raised their hand. It was the first time he had heard of that. It was suggested that one possible useful tool in rankings is recognizing attorneys that do not always get the spotlight. That sounds like a nice thing. Chambers came up for the 26th time. I’ve been hearing about Chambers for a while, but nowhere near the amount of chatter going back and forth at this conference. One of the first things I did when I got back to my office was check out Chambers & Partners. The website smelled of mahogany and rich leather. I knew the names of almost all of the law firms on the shortlist. The brands were large, institutional, old, international, conservative and boring. The website gave my computer this weird virus where now everything around me was 1983 and cartoonish financiers and their bespeckled counsel drank dry martini’s and smoked cigars in the back room of a restaurant that does not exist anymore, sitting in high back red booths.  

For a civil defense firm the best work, the really ingenious creative cost-saving legal work is known by the attorney and the client. That’s it. It is actually always unethical and most of the time illegal for it to be any other way. It’s not ranked, recognized, Super Lawyered or Best Lawyered. There is no SEO formula and no app for that. I submitted a press release, for immediate distribution, to all major networks and outlets: Attorney called client back immediately and resolved an issue before it became a legal claim; billed 0.1. Even The Onion passed.

The room was huge. Every chair was taken up. Extra chairs were brought in. Legal Marketers sat down in the back and in the rows on the side. “Quick Fixes: Innovative Solutions in Law Firm Business Development” was, from my view, the most popular breakout session of the conference. Dave Burns, Director of Client Services at Farella Braun + Martel LLP {shortlisted for Best Real Estate Firm by Chambers and Partners 2014] had a story to tell. His firm is serious about diversity. As in, they don’t have a diversity pamphlet and document tucked away on their intranet. They get out in the community and practice what they preach. And, it turns out, they were so good at it that their clients wanted in. They committed to something and benefited their community with their work and their clients noticed and wanted to get involved to help. This is the future of our industry. This is the success story. This is the theme. And it’s not just our industry, it’s everywhere. The American Dream as a shared experience and goal as opposed to an individualistic ideal.

Melanie Green, Chief Client Development Officer at Faegre Baker Daniels, had a nice problem to have. Her firm had just merged. All of a sudden there were a lot more innovative, intelligent attorneys at their disposal. She needed them to talk to each other. At a firm retreat, catering to the competitive nature of attorneys, they set up a trade booth style show where attorneys would get prizes for visiting other practice groups in the firm and having conversations. Follow-ups were identified and tracked. There was some trouble with buy-in. Alcohol was served. It worked. In planning for this year’s event the firm leadership admitted that they needed forced interaction so that attorneys didn’t just spend their time socializing with colleagues they already knew, but branched out and networked with their new colleagues. How many connections were made, how many shared clients with varied needs identified, how many in-house referrals gathered? Well, lets just go ahead and be crass. How much revenue did Melanie Green and her team generate for the firm by putting on an internal trade show? How much revenue did Dave Burns and his team generate for the firm by believing in ideals enough to put in the time, money and effort to commit to them?

Bringing people together. Sharing ideas. Learning birthdays, the names of children, favorite sports team, most underrated Coen Brothers’ film. Using digital tools to more effectively coordinate face to face interaction. In the same room. With your laptop closed. With your phone in your pocket. Being interested and present in life. I buy into all of that.

Thank you for reading. I will have one more post tomorrow wrapping up the conference. If we are lucky enough to meet, as a starting point; April 15, 1982, Wyatt & Zoe, North Carolina Tarheels, A Serious Man.

Thurs 4/17/14:                  There is no “New Normal.” There is Normal & There is you
                                              (#AirportGiftShop)

No comments:

Post a Comment